Thursday, May 31, 2012

Fonseca 10 Year Tawny Port

Port is a fortified wine, meaning a neutral spirit has been added during fermentation to stop the fermentation process, preserve the high residual sugar and boost the alcohol content. The result is a strongly pungent and (in my opinion) initially offputting scent, but drinking will reveal all it's syrupy, honey-like sweetness.

I am, admittedly, new to Port. I first tried it a few years ago, but I was not ready for it - There was so much going on that I don't think I was able to understand it all. However, on a recent trip to Paso Robles, I tasted a series of Port wines and Port blends and found them absolutely fascinating.

Port will keep for about a week after opening due to its high alcohol content. At 18-20% alcohol, I would much rather invite some friends over to share!

Fonseca 10 Year Tawny Port, At Wine Down Lounge, Long Beach.


No comments:

Post a Comment