Thursday, May 24, 2012

Hiatus


My time with “The Healthy Bean” lasted only a few years, but it was very intense. What we accomplished and what I learned could have taken much longer in other situations- Schools, corporate gigs, job hopping...and so on.

Even today, I think about the time I spent with my employees. As a previous employee for several large companies, I was conditioned for many years to have a certain boss-employee relationship. Probably the same relationship many of you have- “I hate my boss”. 

I did not want my employees to feel that way about me. After the way I was treated by previous managers, I felt that an employee-centered management style was the best way to get the results I wanted. 

There is a lot involved with building a team that has just the right blend of skills, personalities and character. I had a good mix of people come through my doors, and each person contributed something and I learned new things from each one. It took months of trial and error with different personality and skill level combinations, but at last we had a team. 

I have taken the lessons I learned in my professional career and now use them in every aspect of my life. I now understand how a team that works synergistically will reach their goals faster than a team that wastes time and energy by putting personal agendas in front of overall goals. 

After The Healthy Bean and I reached a certain point, we decided that we wanted to expand in two different directions, but neither of us was willing to compromise our ideals. After a series of meetings and much deliberation, we decided that it was best that we pursue our own goals separately. It was a difficult decision- leaving what I had helped build with my sweat, tears and [at times] blood. Looking back at my employees, customers and even the physical buildings, then having to say goodbye was...heartbreaking. 

I was burnt out. I spent the next few months mentally recuperating and trying to figure out what the next great idea would be. I bounced a few ideas around and then finally came up with one…

No comments:

Post a Comment