Monday, June 18, 2012

Day One, Level One: Court of Master Sommeliers

June 18, 2012- I had been eagerly waiting for this day for quite some time.  It is special because it marks the ‘real’ beginning of something I have wanted to do ever since I really got serious about wine and first heard about The Court of Master Sommeliers.  All of the wine dinners, wine tastings, sommelier events, reading, research, cellar digging, wine bar/gastropub reviews etc…were all practice for what I started today.  

Check in time was 8am. I got there a little early so I was able to snag this photo of me in the lobby of the International Culinary Center in Campbell, CA.


Being there early allowed me to do what I like doing the most…find a nice, quiet spot to size up the rest of the class and see who my friends should be. The makeup of the class what not at all what I expected. I assumed the class would consist mainly of males 30 years and older and with very few women- probably because that is the usual demographic for the wine geeks which populate the local wine bars in Los Angeles and Orange County. You can imagine my surprise when I saw that this was actually quite a mixed bag, consisting of both men and women, with ages ranging from early twenties up to fifties and sixties. There were also a small number of foreign students who had flown in to attend this course and learn from these Masters.

When class started, I immediately recognized some of the Masters who would be lecturing today as I have watched many of their videos online and read their various articles and books. I have to admit, I was a little star-struck. I felt like a total wine geek at that point.

The Masters in attendance were Randall Bertao, Cameron Douglas, Brian McClintic and Alan Murray. I wanted to get a photo with them, but didn’t want to seem like THAT much of a geek. Just take my word for it, they were there.

Sitting in the classroom, each student had their mise en place set in front of them with Course Workbook and four wine glasses. 



The class started off pretty mellow and easy to understand, and at a very comfortable pace for me…probably even a little slow. I felt like I was in good shape. We started with the deductive tasting method, which is exactly what it sounds like. You take in the appearance, nose and taste of the wine and break down its characteristics one after another until you narrow down the varietal, climate, country, region and vintage. Our first flight consisted of two wines- one white and one red. It was a little early in the morning, and admittedly, I am not quite sure all of my senses were awake just yet…but had to have a go at it anyway!

I’ll spare you all the details of the tasting notes, but I was actually quite surprised that I was able to narrow down the varietal and vintage of what turned out to be a Loire Valley Sauvignon Blanc from 2010. The same happened with the red, I was able to identify the wine as either a merlot or a syrah. After a little more digging into the defining features of each, I was able to correctly identify that it was a syrah between 3-5 years old, but again had no idea where it was from. (Australia)

The next section was viticulture and winemaking theory. Two things I was very familiar with and had no trouble keeping up. So confidence grew some more. I was quite happy at this point.

The next few sections was where it started to get tricky. Old world stuff, especially French AOC /AOP Classifications and their vast number of estates, chateaus and regions really started to make my head spin. What made me even more confused was I felt like the pace was starting to really speed up, and I was the ONLY one having a hard time keeping up!

I know that I only have a certain amount of wine knowledge, and I know that I still have a lot to learn…but at the same time, I’m no slouch. I feel fairly confident that my knowledge base was pretty solid, at least more solid than the average and even savvy wine consumer. But today, I could not believe that I was not picking up concepts and lessons as quickly as many of my classmates.

As the day went on, we had several other flights and blind tastings, and I was able to nail down a few more. This helped my confidence a bit, but I still could not understand how my classmates were able to taste and decipher the blind tastings so much faster than me.

After lunch, we had more blind tasting flights but now we had to stand up and analyze the wine out loud to the class. I felt fairly confident having had a reasonable degree of success in the morning…but things don’t always turn out the way you want them to.
Now, I don’t want to open my book of excuses just yet…but I did make the stupid mistake of having sushi with wasabi for lunch. Whether or not that temporarily disabled my senses, I’m not sure…but after lunch I could NOT smell or taste anything like I could in the morning.

In the morning I was nailing all the lesser known varietals- Muscadet, Sangiovese, Nebbiolo…but when it finally came MY turn to speak to the class, I totally screwed it up. It was an old world, sweet white wine, highly acidic with aromas of slate and petrol. For some reason I came up with 2009 Chenin Blanc, Loire Valley…when in fact it was a Mosel Riesling, 2010. It was THE most obvious thing ever, and I blew it. Confidence went down the drain at that point.

The rest of the day consisted of more theory and more information about various regions, laws, terroir and climates from around the world. All very interesting, but I was having a real hard time focusing…for a few reasons. Firstly, because I was burnt out from information overload, secondly because I felt like I was really struggling to keep up and lastly because of my Riesling faux pas.

At the last break of the day, I was able to chat with a few of my classmates.  I spoke with a few of them during the class as an aside during tastings to either confirm what I sensed, or ask questions about what they sensed. I felt like I was able to keep up with their tasting abilities, but not the speed at which they can process it. I finally learned that the majority of people in that class were at the last stages of an 11 week course taught by the French Culinary Institute and that they were taking this course as a review for the Level Two final exam later in the week. NO WONDER!

So I didn’t feel too bad after that. I was able to [more or less] keep pace with students who were 11 weeks ahead of me.

At the end of the day, we had blind tasted 14 wines- 7 red and 7 white, traveled to the regions of France, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and North America, and learned a bit about viticulture and the many wine laws which regulate the trade all over the world. Not bad for a days work.
Can’t wait to see what tomorrow brings. Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment